WRITING AND EDITING EXPERIENCE
Freelance Writer and Editor
Seattle, WA; February 2013–present
- Write feature articles online and in print for award-winning national and local publications including Author Magazine, Eater, Seattle magazine, AAA Journey Magazine, Seattle Weekly, Edible Seattle, Puget Sound Starts Here, and more.
- Edit dissertations, MA/MS applications and other major writing projects for organization, clarity and succinctness for private clients
- Copyedit fiction for Girl Friday Productions
Editor at Eater Seattle
Seattle, WA; March–October 2015
Wrote 3-6 posts daily on major food news and maps of best restaurants (of various categories) in Seattle
- Managed team of 8 freelance writers and photographers
Oversaw site’s Facebook and Twitter accounts, and Eater Seattle newsletter
Digital Editorial Assistant at Seattle magazine
Seattle, WA; November 2014–February 2015
- Wrote 4-6 news and feature articles weekly for Seattlemag.com
- Managed social media (Twitter and Pinterest) for my articles
- Uploaded content (text and photos) from the print magazine
- Edited select articles for clarity and succinctness
- Discussed site analytics and content strategy regularly with digital editor
- For one week, ran complete Seattlemag.com site: wrote and posted articles, edited articles by 2 other writers, managed social media
ADDITIONAL COMMUNICATIONS AND RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
English as a Second Language Instructor at North Seattle College, University of Washington and Tacoma Community College
Seattle and Tacoma, WA; September 2007–December 2014
- Taught and tutored ESL writing, reading, speaking, listening, conversation, grammar, pronunciation, business English communication and academic lecture listening and note-taking to matriculated and non-matriculated students, ages 18-60, beginning to advanced levels.
Literacy Curriculum Development Specialist at the Eastern Cape Department of Education/US Peace Corps Response
East London, South Africa; September 2010–June 2011
- Researched best literacy teaching methods in South Africa and abroad at South African universities and online.
- Collaborated with local government officials and teachers to secure funding for and collectively deliver 3 literacy-teaching workshops to 150 language teachers and subject advisors across the Eastern Cape province.
MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages from the University of Washington.
Seattle, WA; Sept. 2007–June 2009. GPA 3.99. Competitively selected for 2-year teaching assistantship.
BA in English from Davidson College.
Davidson, NC. August 1998–May 2002. GPA 3.47; major GPA 3.7.
AAS in Culinary Arts from Seattle Culinary Academy, Seattle Central Community College.
Seattle, WA. Sept. 2011-Mar. 2013. GPA 3.87. Competitively selected for 2 consecutive year-long scholarships.
- Desktop Publishing: Microsoft Office
- Content Management Systems: Chorus, WordPress, Drupal
- Design: Adobe Photoshop and InDesign (basic)
- Style Guides: Chicago Manual of Style, MLA and APA
Basic proficiency (reading, writing, some speaking) in French and Setswana.